Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Grade 8- Mock United Nations Organization


The last week saw Grade 8 doing a mock United Nations Organization, where the students represented as delegates from various countries, talking about their country’s stand on Euthanasia.
For teachers who are not familiar with the term Euthanasia, it is famously also called Mercy Killing. By definition, Euthanasia is painless killing of a patient suffering from a terminal incurable disease or irreversible coma.
Euthanasia was taken up as a Global Perspective topic. The discussions we had in class led to talks on suicide, God, the purpose of life and dignity in death. The best thing that came out from these sessions was the discussions that happened on beliefs of life and death in different religions and countries.
The mock U.N was basically Kiran’s idea. And Raag came in to detail the protocol that is followed in the U.N.O. The students had to prepare for the U.N.O within 3 days. The class was broken up into groups, each working on deciding the rubrics for evaluation and designing the format of feedback forms for teacher, self, parents and peer evaluation. They also had to write a formal letter to their parents on behalf of Riverside inviting them for the event.
For me the challenging part was to coordinate the working of all the groups and ensuring quality output. This was the time I was online for hours on end, students mailing me their Position Papers, Invitation Letters or Speeches, me sending them feedbacks and then again, they reworking on their work and sending me the same for feedbacks.
The mock U.N. was held for 4 days. Each day, 6 candidates presented their Position Papers on their respective countries. Strict rules were conveyed to them regarding their dress code, conduct with the house and the chair. Kiran acted as the General Secretary while Raag was the Chair for the delegation. And it was really their presence that added the level of seriousness and sophistication to the event.
My Learning:
I absolutely loved seeing my kids perform so well. I was so so so happy the first day of the delegation that I could not stop smiling! It was real hard work for me also, as there were times when grade 8 would be chatting to me regarding their work till 11 at night. But seeing them so enthusiastic made it worth so much more.
The idea of consciously creating avenues where students are pushed to learn, grow and become better became clear to me during this event. Even though students, teachers and parents were the same…the students were so serious about the work because we made it so. It was us who set the tone such that they were pushed to do their best. So basically, I don’t really have to go out of Riverside for authentic experiences for everything that they do…I can create it within Riverside!
This was told to us during the workshops. But at least for me, I get the hang of things only when I actually see it happening. My learning pattern, I guess! J
I would absolutely love to be of assistance to anyone who might think of doing a mock U.N. in their class as well.
Thanks Kiran, Raag and Saher and my dear Suja for everything! Next time I will make sure I tell you all in advance if something interesting happens in Grade 8, and I am sure there will be, soon!
Vishwa
Grade 8

1 comment:

  1. This piece brings good news :) Grade 8 rocks!!!
    Stylistically well written, the syntax errors* from line one itself could have been avoided though...altho I know time must have been a constraint.

    It is a good idea to start a blog. It would only start to become a blog in true sense when every member is allowed to participate. The term derives from Web-log, wherein a person or a group keep a daily log of what happens in their lives. A blog is a great way to foster community. Group blogs can also become a space for people to hone their writing skills. It is imp for a child that his/her teacher knows how to write well. Only then would she/he be able to assess the child appropriately.

    Help from the Eng Teacher's desk:
    "The last week" - Last week; "doing a mock United Nations Organization" - doing a session. One cannot do an org; "students represented as delegates from various countries, talking about" - represented is a participle there, therefore, students 'represented as delegates from various countries, talkED about";

    In "the discussions that happened on beliefs of life and death in different religions and countries."- 'that happened' is redundant, instead, 'discussions about beliefs of life and death in different religions and countries'.

    "The class was broken up" - a class was 'divided' would be a more appropriate expression.

    "me sending them feedbacks and then again, they reworking on their work and sending me the same"
    'feedback' does not need plural 's', the syntax in this part needs fixing...

    thanks

    ReplyDelete